Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Late Call: Touchdown!

So I arrived safely to Delhi...not comfortably, but safely. I was packed tightly into a KLM operated 747...I think. I know it was a big plane, and it was full. I slept for most of the flight, and when I wasn't, I was conversing with an elderly woman from Sweden. I told her how much we appreciated IKEA.

I'm now trying to settle into a routine, settle into a new job, and into a new house. Until Julie and the kids join me, I'm not sure any of it can really feel like home or even an approximation. This isn't an epiphany, but an understanding.

I think we'll enjoy our time here as long as we continually remind ourselves that we're living in Delhi. No Target. No Whole Foods. Not to mention the complete absence of traffic laws and environmental protections. I ate Dominos pizza last night though, and I'm not dead yet or feeling near it. Delhi is beautiful in many ways. Roaming packs of monkeys, parrots flying free, fragrant flowers, and a city teeming with potential. It can also be very depressing. Ultimately, I really hope family and friends will consider our assignment here as an opportunity to visit, and see a part of the world, a kind of life that one usually wouldn't see. Consider that an invitation.

As soon as Julie and the kids arrive, and I reclaim our digital camera, then we will post plenty of pictures...of the kids riding elephants, playing with monkeys, standing in front of India Gate, the Taj Mahal, the Himalayas. All that and more. I will attempt to post regularly with observations, stories, and what could only be brilliant insights. Love to you all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! i'm glad you arrived safely. can't wait to hear more!! hugs and kisses to j, o, e, and a, too.

Unknown said...

are you sick yet?