Monday, March 16, 2009

"Leave me nothing I don't need at all..."

Have I (read: I) had an "Alanis" moment (...Thank you, India...)?

Nope.

Have I realized the extent of my (read: our) wastefulness? The degree of extravagancy?

Indeed.

It's hard not to. Every weekend in Rockville...neigh, multiple times a week, we found ourselves at Target. We could stroll the aisles for hours and we did. We purchased. We consumed. We loved it...who am I kidding? We miss it.

BUT.

Here, in Delhi, we're without that luxury...and believe me when I say this, it is a huge luxury. You know something? Half of half of what we bought we never needed because here we've realized we aren't missing it. The "stuff," the clutter, the things...ash and dust. Memories of the "western" life. Looking around though...at folks, at children who have nothing...and I mean nothing, barely life to cling to...it is all just stuff.

Even here we find ways to add to our collection of things, as though we'll have it buried beside us in our great tombs. We're consuming half as much here and still there is leftover. Old habits die hard...and some won't die because we won't let them. Ugly truth.

Just thoughts and observations though, nothing more. It's really just eye-opening...to be presented with SO much reality and to realize the extent to which we've been part of so many problems.

Good luck with that song lyric, by the way. If you Google it, then you're cheating. If you know it outright, then you're cool as Hell.

Delhi...OUT!!!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Not a clue...but wouldn't certain Madonna lyrics have fit better here??? Is that title supposed to be song lyrics even? I attempted to yahoo it (as I don't google) and nothing came up.... Good blog as always....way to make the rest of us feel like crap:)....at least I can take comfort in knowing my excessive spending is helping the economy:)

The Turners said...

Anne...it's a song lyric, a great one at that. You should have Googled it. It comes up, but you have to know what you're looking for. When I clue you in, do yourself a favor and run, not walk, to buy the CD...or simply grab it from the iTunes.

Anne said...

Found it under google....on "The Gayborhood Gringo" blog (snicker)....Good song, cool video....always an enriching experience being related to you and all:) Maybe you should buy me the cd and send it first class mail...I hate anything "i" as it seems apple is anti-user friendly....I've had my ipod for a year and still don't understand how to sync:)